Thursday, September 29, 2016

OUGD504 - Type In Context - Presentation and feedback

After underlining the context and how I have gone about collecting my photos I now feel its necessary to show each letter in its own right with a small description based loosely on the writing I have done previously this will then formulate my three minute presentation on my A-Z.



































The layout of the presentation is simple and to the point, my intentions were to show the photos as the main focus and not take away from there unique qualities. 

This is in no way the start of the publication, I feel it is very important to conceder what is the best way of displaying the images and how this relates to the context.

When running through the presentation I spoke briefly about they way in which I photographed the images and gave some back ground context on the Orkney's.

I also talked about how photographing these images had changed my mindset in a way and I became my more accustomed to looking for letterforms in more and more abstract and creative ways.



With this presentation I also spoke to three of my tutors on there initial thoughts on the images, the context, how I could possibly display them and small details on moving forward to production. I wrote down these comments in brief as seen bellow.

The first conversation I had with Simon Jones I spoke about how one thing I noticed while on my trip is that in book shops and tourist shops around Orkney there was a wealth of publications specifically on the Orkney's, these often included very story and myth based books. As the area has so much history there were many book titled things like 'The tales of the Orkney's' or 'Mysteries of the Orkney's'. Simon spoke of this being a possible target market and context in which to base my book around. Thinking of the book as being sold in these shops on the Orkney's. Simon also commented on how the binding, layout and cover should really reflect on the work, and that including story telling elements to each letter could be an good way of making the content more inviting. Finally we spoke of possibly conducting some primary research into the Viking Musuem in York as the Orkney's has a lot of connections with Viking history and culture.

After this I showed my work to Nick the tutor that works with us on a Monday, I showed him the presentation and spoke through my ideas and thoughts so far. He seemed to really like the overall theme and the quality of the images. He spoke of how its interesting how the letter forms often had been reclaimed by nature and how this could relate to the design of the publication. I spoke to Nick about a initial thought I had of drawing out what I felt the rest of the letterforms might look like and create 26 bespoke typefaces from this. He felt this idea was a little complex and may take away from my images and didn't recommend following this concept. I personally feel that it could still work and I may come back to this. 

Additionally I spoke to Simon Harrison about my project and showed he through my presentation. He also seemed pleased with the individuality of the images and the overall qualities the possessed. He thought that it was important to highlight every single letter in order and this would better show the concept of the images. He felt it may be beneficial to draw each letter and see how they might translate into a typeface so this is another concept I may explore in the future. 

Simon Jones highlighted the importance of the target audience and that this may be a pretty small group of people just travelling to the Orkney's and that the book may not need to be distributed anywhere but the Orkney's this I felt was an extremely valid point and is important to consider as I begin deciding on refined concepts and production elements. 

After I presented my work I received feedback from a class mate Ed, he thought that if the book is to be aimed at people travelling to the Orkney's and about typography that this target audience is extremely specific and must reflect in the materials used and the overall design.  

No comments:

Post a Comment