Thursday, March 31, 2016

Refinement of Book design


 I have now designed a more finalised version. I decided to use Didot typography I felt it had more connection to the 'Spanish and Architecture' book I have looked at and had a more classical feel to the designs, something a bit different that I had not seen in the 'guide to' designs I have looked at. The idea being that a more classical look along side modern and contemporary architecture.
 I have selected the buildings I want to feature being, the Mies van der Rohe pavilion, Museu Picasso, CCCB & MACBA, Montjuic Castle and Foundation Joan Miro. Each is very different but great examples of beautiful architecture in the city.
I used placeholder text for each section to grasp and idea of what the images would look like accompanied with text. I have used these white text boxes to show the text on the full bleed images. I think it remains consistent and doesn't take away from the images too much.  

For the MACBA and CCCB I have used very large type next to each other on a double page I am very happy at the moment with this spread and think the way it communicated the two galleries being in conjunction effectively. 
 These two images seem to work very well together and have a nice contrast between them of black and white. I think using some images full bleed will display the gallery in a positive light.
 Showing small details and interesting elements of a building I think can be very interesting especially with the MACBA being such a bold and striking building.
This page for Montjuic Castle I have made fully red this is something I really loved in the 40 year anniversary design for the Joan Miro Foundation. It creates a nice visual change and reflects the traditionally Spanish colours.
 Again implementing the use of a white box for the type when I have used a full bleed image. 
 I again looked at using a red page for certain pages I think this is something I want to include in the final designs but picking which page and why is very important.
This page I think the two photos really lend themselves to each other and create an interesting composition this is die to the complimentary colours. 

I have used a 6 by 6 grid thorough out this design to keep the image consistent along with the headings and type. The designs have really progressed by still need work. I want to try and make the book a bit more distinct and reflect Barcelona as best I can.


No comments:

Post a Comment