Thursday, October 13, 2016

OUGD504 - Type In Context - Convo

In convocation with Simon Harrison on my work so far we discussed the layout of my publication and spoke about embossing and de-bossing. We spoke of my idea of embossing and de-bossing each letter separately how this may be a way of really enhancing my publication. In my previous critique this was highlighted as something to work on, trying to make my publication more engaging or interactive. As each page would be printed then embossed separately due to this there arose many limitations with the design layout of my publication. We discussed how including a insert with a description on both sides between two pages. This would allow the images to be seen large alongside each other as well as including the relative descriptions. As each page would be printed separately the book in this format would have to be perfect bound this has many limitations and advantages to it in itself and would need to be researched. As well as this this layout would mean two blank pages back to back with the negative embossing or de-bossing showing through. If this is the layout I choose then how I can enhance these pages to fit within my publication will be key.


After this discussion I made this mock up booklet to test how the images worked along side each other as well as the descriptions. Making this mock up allowed me to realise what the book might look like. As this was a simple mock up i wasn't able to perfect bound my book as intended so a stab stick had to do. The first thing I noticed was that the pages didn't lay flat at all this was a problem for reading the content and seeing the images completely. Creating this mock up has allowed me to see that my book will need to be bound in a way that each page can lay fairly flat this will allow for the best communication of my content. 




































This mock up also included my insert cut pages for my descriptions. I found that with this binding the information would be very hard to read and unclear. I was pleased however with the idea of the insert it felt like an effective way of showing the information without taking away from the images. Overall I have found this mock up very useful in finding out how my publication might look and be produced. 

No comments:

Post a Comment