Saturday, October 8, 2016

OUGD504 - Type In Context - Critique of two concepts

After preparing two concepts from our images that could be the theme of the rest of the project. We were asked to present in a group to understand better why one may be more appropriate through feedback.

During the critique I wrote notes on things that I felt would benefit my project. I found that when Matt Fraser presented that he had two similar ideas to me both mainly based on target audience, firstly to aim the publication at the typographic audience and secondly looking at what would work as design for the people of Seattle (as this is where his photos were from). He spoke of how they would be very different publications and that there needed to be a level of typographic quality. This to me seemed an valid point and something to consider. He also spoke of his desire to combined the two ideas to see how this could work. This was something I to wanted to look into. I asked him how he might go about doing this and keeping the work engaging to both the audiences? He said that within the descriptions of each place he would feature the context of the type and then some kind of typological terminology so the book can relate to both. 

For my own feedback I showed two ideas and explained the target audience, purpose and concept. I then asked the group what they thought, which concept works best? How could I go about making? Any back ground considerations? This sort of thing... The use of the images along side the writing gave a much clearer view of the two ideas so this payed off. The group suggested some ideas like trying the letterforms out of order to see if it can still be understood, another idea was to look at keeping the descriptions very simple and not tell the reader what the letter is so they could try and work it out for themselves. Our tutor spoke about the work feeling personal explaining there is something about a stone or a tree branch for example that feels intimate or tactile and that working with this in the design could be useful. Another suggestion was to look at perspective, as each image really plays with perspective and a certain view point this could be a focal point of the publication. Finally a point that was spoke about a few times when discussing my work was the idea of making the book more interactive in some way. This could be formatting the book more like a challenge guess the letters or spell out a word, just something to give it an extra dimension. I felt that my idea about embossing and de-bossing each of the letterforms would be a way of doing this, improving my images and taking my publication to a more professional standard and make it more engaging. 

In terms of what idea they preferred it was pretty much an even split, I explained how I may try and combined the two as I think it would be an interesting challenge to see how the design could be engaging for both a typography audience and people with interests in the Orkney's. This idea of combining the two concepts to make one super concept seemed the most popular to continue with in my working. 

I found this critique useful in pushing my ideas and realising my next steps in the project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment