Tuesday, October 4, 2016

OUGD504 -Type in Context - Every Book Starts with an Idea: Notes for Designers

Every Book Starts with an Idea: Notes for Designers  - Armand Mevis

An essay featured in The Form of the Book Book a modern day version of Jan Tschichold's orginal guide for designers. 

This essay gives some very useful information on what books should be and shouldn't be, the written is insistent of idea that there are way too many books being published every year and many do not even have a meaning or a context that is interesting an relevent. The overall theme in the essay is that a book should always have a meaning and this meaning justifiys the production. 

My impressions of the essay were that there are many interesting and thought provoking points and ideas, what really stood out for me is when Armand Mevis speaks of the importance of the idea and the content, 'The content is the engine that leads to ideas, personal ideas, crazy ideas.' this concept that the content should inform the design and the ideas is very true in my opinon and I would also agree there are too many books where the content and design do not work together. Armand Mevis renforces this theme of being confident in your ideas, 'Stick to your ideas. Embrce them' As I am yet to really look at design ideas this has been a refreshing thing to read as I often find that my design ideas feel intuitive or impulsive and justifying these design ideas can be challenging. 

Another idea put forward in this essay is the statement 'If you were able to link the content to your concept and the concept to a form you have succeeded.' I feel this is really true and should be an aim for me in my project, my book should effectivey show this. 

This essay has proved very useful and taught me many things on book design and put forward a few really thought prevoking concepts. 
URL

No comments:

Post a Comment