Monday, November 30, 2015

Pictograms



We have been given the task of designing a pictogram for an Olympic event of our choice. I began be looking at the different pictogram's used over the years to display the different events. The pictogram must work as a image alone and must be distinguishable from the rest. The design above by Otl Aicher for the 1972 Munich Olympics in Germany. Using a consistent grid system to create a systematic and recognizable design.

Pictograms taken from the London, Los Angeles and Rio Olympics shoing the different shapes styles and sizes rhat can be used to make the design indiviual and recognisable to the identity of the Olympic games.

I have chosen the show jumping event to base my pictogram on as it is complex and would create a more engaging and interesting final outcome due to the extra level of detail needed. I started by sketching the current 2012 London pictogram and began slowly changing each shape to fit more with the gridded system.


These four more finalized designs I have draw to really reflect the grid as much a possible yet remaining recognizable and clear what it is. Overall the designs represent the event in a clear and concise manor and could be distinguished from th other horse riding events. 


































I have experimented with three different colour combinations to understand the most competent and informed design. The design must be as eye catching as possible to fully communicate the information as quickly as possible. Using this gridded design has would allow me to create the corresponding designs for each event and is a great way of keeping the work consistent. I am going to take what I have found from this study task into my next initial designs for this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment