Friday, November 6, 2015

Typeface Design Research







Specimen of Type faces by Commercial

I have looked at this type specimen for examples of type I feel reflect the broad style I have been researching I found these three examples each  of which show a thick and wide typeface. Looking at these typefaces each remain very broad and large yet one is a serif font and one has rounded edges. The writing that acompanies these typefaces is very usefully in understanding what the designer is trying to convay in their work.

IsamBard
Designed by Paul Barnes and Migquel Reyes in 2015.
It stated 'As bold as bold can be' was the idea behind this typeface this is clear within the massive stroke weight in contrast with the hair line stems and serif's. I feel creating a broad typeface with a serif style is very differcult yet has been done here to great effect. 

Caslon Rounded 
Designed by Paul Barnes and Christian Schwartz in 2015. The type again uses a very large stroke and thickness yet remains clear and readable. The use of a outline is shown to great effect and the fact is can be used in many different contexts.

Caslon Sans
Designed by Paul Barnes and Jesse Vega in 2014.
This san serif font is much more bold and again depictis this broad and thick style. I really love the possible variation of styles, outlines and strokes. The thickness of the letterforms still remains clean and readable. The drop shadow is something I would love to experiment with and see if I can use it within my own type design.






No comments:

Post a Comment