Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Rules of graphic design

Rules of graphic design
We have been given the task to think about some of the rules in graphic design in our opinion and how effectively they can be applied and ignored within the field of graphic design.

Try and to avoid centralising text and when used try to justify it. I think this rule is very relaxed and can be ignored. Central text makes the body of text less legible and the eye has to keep finding were the next line is.

When using a grid try and keep it consistent throughout the designs. Using equally spaced grids allows for even more consistent results. This rule is an extremely powerful tool for creating informed and appropriate designs. I think this rule is very important for me within graphics. However I feel the grid can be a loose guide that can be use and ignored to create very interesting and different results.

Try and use only two or three consistent type sizes in your work. Again I think this rule can be both implemented and ignored to produce some great results. I think this rule is defiantly can be used in different contexts.

Try to use white space appropriately within the context of each design, this is a rule I feel very strongly about especially within editorial design. White space for me is the key aspect and driving force in page layout and can make or break the designs. I think the size and relationship between image and text confide ring white space is very important.

Try to avoid ophans and widows in terms of text in a paragraph. This for me is quite important but isn't a underlining rule of graphics it can make the designs seem more readable and together yet they are very common so are not as much of a concern.

Overall I think that rules are ment to be broken in all creative industry's and that highlighting some common things in graphics and working against them can create designs that stand out and rewrite the rule book of graphics.




No comments:

Post a Comment